Friday, June 8, 2012

Alani The Stormborn - the New Aeonaxx/TLPD of Pandaria?

(Updates toward bottom of post.)

The new Aeonaxx/TLDP of Pandaria?
Flying high above the Vale of Eternal Blossoms glides a gorgeous majestic dragon named Alani, The Stormborn. (Perhaps a reference to Daenerys Targaryen, mother of Dragons, aka. Daenerys Stormborn from GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series?)

Alani is a level 92 silver dragon leading me to believe that we may just be seeing a glimpse of the next Time-Lost Proto-Drake/Aeonaxx. At least that's what I'm hoping for because WOW would this make an amazing looking mount!

Look at that Gorgeous Face!
Alani has 1264k hp. I watched her fly around the zone for about 15-20 minutes with my eagle eye and she patrolled all the way from the most eastern side to the west, making it a very large patrol area. She was generally flying fairly high in the air, but did occasionally dip down low enough to the ground that she probably would have been within range to hit with a ranged spell. 


Click to Enlarge

She cannot currently be attacked on the beta, as she is surrounded by an aura called Nimbus Shroud which obscures her from attackers. I did however find on wowhead an item called the Sky Crystal, which according to the tool-tip will break her out. You need to combine 10 Skyshards to create the crystal, but where they come from I have no idea yet.


I have some footage of Alani flying around the zone below so that you can see just how beautiful this dragon is yourself. ~



All I know is if she does turn out to be what I'm hoping for I know where I will be spending a LOT of time in the future...

Oh so very pretty...

Update 7/5/12:
I finally reached level 90 in beta and with the lovely ability of flight I was able to talk to Loh-Ki <The Storm Watcher>, a pandaren who can be found meditating on the mountainside at Ruins Rise overlooking the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. Loh-Ki has a few clues for us as to how to engage Alani.

This is his story:

Legends tell of a great battle that took place in this very vale, turning the golden fields to crimson with the blood of many brave monks. The armies of Lei Shen the Thunder King, emperor of the mogu, fought brutally, but were eventually overcome.

For days following the fall of Lei Shen, the vale was shrouded in a cloud of the deepest black. Summoned by Lei Shen in his final moments, the otherworldly storm blanketed the vale with rainfall and struckjagged spears of lightening into the hills.

(Story continued below)


Loh-Ki's Story
 The blood of the fallen was washed away by the storm and carried to Whitepetal Lake, turning the waters a deep red. With its final breath, the storm struck the center of the lake, igniting the very water itself. the lake burned with a crimson hue for many days.

When the blaze subsided, a cloud serpent hatchling could be seen flying around the center of the lake. its scales sparkled with storm and fire, and where it flew, great clouds formed in the sky. My people named it Alani, the Stormborn.

They say that Alani can only see the flash of the greatest lightning, and may only hear the echo of the greatest thunder. Should you wish to get her attention, you will need to harness the very essence of the sky that spawned her.

Now the "very essence of the sky" that Loh-Ki said will get her attention, is very likely the Sky Crystal  that I mentioned earlier. I am still uncertain where these come from but I'll update as I find anything out! =)

Here is some better footage of Alani and where you can find Loh-Ki on the mountainside. ~



Update 8/1/12:

It looks like the Skyshards, the item that we will need ten of in order create a Sky Crystal which will break Alani out of her Nimbus Shroud, is a very rare drop off of regular mobs. Someone in my guild looted one off of a mob while doing dailies in Vale of Eternal Blossoms a couple of days ago. Note that these shards are bind on pickup, so in order to break her out it is going to require a lot of play time on one particular toon. 

Update 8/25/12:

As predicted, it does seem that Alani does drop a mount. On the beta someone has recently collected enough Skyshards to create a Sky Crystal and down her. Upon killing her, he received Reins of the Thundering Ruby Cloud Serpent, which looks just like Alani with the addition of a saddle. 

Big thanks to Graveyard on the Lost Isles beta sever for the screenshots!
Here is a video below of someone killing her and looting the mount from her on beta:


Using /mountspecial
In order to be actually learn this particular mount, and any of the Cloud Serpent mounts, you are going to need to have learned Cloud Serpent Riding from the Order of the Cloud Serpent. Their main quest hub is located at the The Aboretum in Jade Forest. Reputation is increased with them by completing daily quests and handing in Onyx Eggs (similar to the Netherwing rep grind back in BC). The eggs can be found scattered about near the area that the dailies are completed. They award +500 rep each.

Also, as a reader pointed out in the comments below you will need to be exalted with the August Celestials to learn her in addition to the order of the Cloud Serpent. Reputation can be gained with this faction through dailies. Check out WoWhead's August Celestial's Preview for more detailed information on how to gain reputation with them. 

20 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous. I need to get on and look for her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in awe when she first flew by me, she really is absolutely magnificent! ^-^

      Delete
  2. Oh! I hope she is what you hope she is! Although I think I've used up all my luck, but I'll still give it a try if she turns out to be the new TLPD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your luck is anything like it was with the TLPD you'll probably be the first one on it. =P

      Delete
  3. Oh god, I accidentally looked. Not..supposed... to.. be..looking... at...beta... stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww sorry Navi, if I write anything else about beta-related stuff I'll but a big WARNING BETA or something of the like at the top. ;)

      Delete
  4. And it's in red! An auspicious colour to the Chinese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy.. wow.. gorgeous. I'll be farming that... yuuuuuuuuuup. Damn being on a PvP server, but I'll make it work! *slams fist on the desk*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT :-O

    All efforts for TLPD will be put towards getting this mount.
    being on a PVP server is good... I can attack Alli while waiting. :-D

    How do you get to be part of the Beta people?? I want to see this thing for myself. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. was it just me that saw you had to be exhaulted whit the august celestials

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, you only need to be exalted with the order of the Cloud Serpent. When you hit exalted with them, you get a quest called "Riding the Skies" which awards one of three different color serpent mounts and the Cloud Serpent Riding ability.

      Delete
    2. Apparently you do need to be exalted with the August Celestials in order to learn the mount. Seems a little overkill, but for a reputation junkie like myself I know I'll be working on them anyway.

      Delete
  8. the skyshard are infact a rare drop. Im at over 3 thousand trys and havent gotten a single 1 nor my husband whos at about 1 thousand trys. I do hope that the drop rate is uped just a little. no one has gotten her yet on my server.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got one about 5 minutes after posting this :D u can get them out of the chest from the last daylie in the zone ^_^ im not sure what the % is on it but it does happen they are out there. Just somewhere!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info, and grats on your shard! =)

      Delete
  9. It is possible to sell Alani mount by kiling she in party and share loot between party members?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent question. I'm not sure that anyone has tried this yet. I assume you would be able to roll on it if grouped and close enough. If I find out anything for sure I'll add it into the post.

      Delete
  10. Wow to the power of WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my highest character on wow is level 73 and once i get to lv 90 how do i get a different onyx serpent? like the green one or something like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get exalted with Order of the Cloud Serpent. When you hit exalted with them you will not only be able to ride cloud serpents, but you'll get three different color mounts for doing so.

      Delete