Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Salyis' Warband & Galleon - MoP World Boss

(Updates toward bottom of post.)

Chief Sayis' Warband, Blizzard did a wonderful job on this model!
After maintenance this morning I logged into the beta to do a few quests in the Valley of Four Winds before going to work. The moment I logged in I noticed people in general chat looking for more to help down a rare world boss. Naturally I was curious and offered to join in.

It turns out this boss is actually an entire war party called Salyis' Warband. The party is made up of several saurok (reptilian humanoids) who man two huge cannons on top of a kodo-like beast called a mushan named Galleon. The party is led by Chief Salyis (seen standing on Galleon's head).


I'm not sure yet if the War-band spawns in any other locations, but when our group attempted downing them we found them on the Rumbling Terrace shooting cannonballs over the river. I put a red dot on the map below to show where we found them.

Click to Enlarge
This boss has 261 million hit points and has a few abilities to be aware of before you try taking it down. Taken straight from the dungeon journal:

Fire Shot: Saurok Skirmishers riding on Galleon's back fire flaming crossbow bolts at random players, inflicting 15,000 Fire damage.

Stomp: Galleon stomps the ground, inflicting 100,000 Physical damage to players within 100 yards and knocking them down for 3 sec.

Cannon Barrage: (this one you need to watch out for, ouch) Chief Salyis orders his minions to fire off eight powerful cannon blasts. Each blast inflicts 600,000 Fire damage to players within 10 yards and knocks them back.

Salyin Warmonger: Chief Salyis' Warmongers periodically jump down from Galleon's back to engage players. The Warmonger uses an ability called Impaling Pull to bring a distant target towards them and inflict 15,000 physical damage.

Chief Salyis can be seen standing atop Galleon's head
Our group failed miserably as you can see in the video below. In all fairness though we had far fewer people than we should have, everyone was level 85-87 other than myself at 88 and someone not in our party pulled and initiated combat early. We didn't reform after the wipe, but this little bit of footage should give a little bit of  an idea as to what to expect for this boss.



This boss wasn't around when I got home from work, but I can't wait to give it a try again with a larger group!

6/15/12 Update:

I got into a raid group last night that was able to kill him. We had a LOT of people there this time and it went much more smoothly. Here is the video of the kill. ~



9/7/12 Update:

I checked Galleon's loot table this morning and found a pleasant surprise. It would seem that just like the other rare world boss Sha of Anger, Galleon will be dropping a mount! It looks like it's going to be a ground mount called Son of Galleon, learned by Son of Galleon's Saddle. I'm not sure what the model looks like yet, but I'm really hoping that it looks just like Galleon himself. ^-^


13 comments:

  1. You know, I was thinking of FINALLY finishing my post on this guy... you know what they say, great minds :)

    Nice to see the video though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again I'm not doing so good on my "not watching spoilers," but I just had to see the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do guys mean MOP spoilers on your guys blog just want know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vid, just one thing comes to mind.... The music!!! My wife thought I was watching something else. lmao

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much are respawn time for this rare boss?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice vid, very clear and helpful info! ps, whats the music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called "Center of the Sun" by Conjure One.

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful music. It sounds a lot like Delerium. That isn't Rhys Fulber is it?

    I know your post if from June 2012, but I just found your site. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound a lot like Delerium, I agree. It's actually by Conjure One though. It's a remix of "Center of the Sun." Original track used was actually from this youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9XkdAB2FA4

      Delete
  8. whats his spawn rate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been shortened significantly in patch 7.0. I haven't timed it exactly but it seems close to about 15 min or so.

      Delete